Friday, July 15, 2011

I Choose You!

"Put on then, as God's chosen ones, holy and beloved, compassionate hearts, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience" -Colossians 3:12

The other day I was watching Home Makeover: Weight Loss Edition, and one of the most powerful moments comes not at the end of the journey, but at the very beginning. The host, who's probably combed through thousands of applications, shows up at the door of a select applicant, who is most often at their wit's end. They are broken, hurting, out of options, and in many cases, feeling unworthy or worthless. Chris Powell shows up, they are shocked, and he looks into their eyes and says three powerful words: "I choose you." As I watched, brought nearly to tears (yeah, I am a little bit of a softy when it comes to this stuff), I thought about how empowering the phrase is to that person who is about to embark on an intense one year weight loss trek. Powell can give them all of the resources and education imaginable, but his putting his faith in them and his willingness to walk along side of them is probably more powerful than all of that combined.

This scene made me think about how amazing it must feel to have someone say those simple words to you, then I considered the truth that Jesus has indeed chosen us! How does that empower us to live? Jesus' love should drive us to boldness, faith, and humility.     

No comments:

Post a Comment