Wednesday, July 20, 2011

"For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us." -Romans 8:18 

Say you and I are sitting at my favorite Indian restaurant just about to dig in to a savory meal cooked with probably over 30 different spices. The aromas that met our noses are so rich that they seem to make the food instantly palatable. After a quick blessing of course:) we venture into the depths of grilled meats, fresh vegetables, and seasoned basmati rice. You tell me about the delicious spice and sweetness your dish provides, and with a somewhat displeased look on my face I say to you, "yeah, that's cool, ya know....I could really go for a good PB&J."

What?!?!

It would be beyond silly, probably downright insulting, to compare delicious ethnic cuisine to a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. I wonder if that's not just a little glimpse into how ridiculous it is for us to complain about our sufferings when we have an eternal inheritance (Hebrews 9:15) waiting for us. I'm encouraged, because sometimes those sufferings do feel intense and at times they rock our worlds, but God has promised us the opportunity to experience a glory so intense it will seem like those sufferings were like piddly peanut butter and jelly sandwiches in comparison.        

No comments:

Post a Comment