Thursday, February 2, 2012

15 Hours for a 20 Question Quiz

"Then I considered all that my hands had done and the toil I had experienced in doing it, and behold, all was vanity and a striving after wind, and there was nothing to be gained under the sun." -Ecclesiastes 2:11 

I plopped back down into my chair in slight exhaustion after having turned in the quiz I had been studying for for the past four or five days. I turned to my dear fellow nursing student, and after we had over-analyzed the various problematic questions and discussed the quiz's level of overall difficulty, I said "How long did you study for that?" She said, "15 hours," I said, "yeah...I wish I hadn't studied that much." She echoed my sentiments, and I sat there pensively and said..."we studied for 15 hours for a 20 question quiz," shaking my head as the reality of all of that toil hit me.

I feel like this often. King Solomon nailed it in this scripture. So often we struggle and toil over the little things of this world when we have an entire eternity awaiting us. I'm not saying throw in the towel, set up camp on the couch, and think about heaven, but rather maybe I'm struggling with the possibility that the things in my life that I give the greatest attention aren't deserving of it at all.
Maybe it's time to start living for eternity and realizing that no matter the level of success or happiness that we find here, this world has nothing but fleeting wind to offer us.  

No comments:

Post a Comment