Sunday, November 6, 2011

When Salvation's at Stake

"When the jailer woke and saw that the prison doors were open, he drew his sword and was about to kill himself, supposing that the prisoners had escaped. But Paul cried out in a loud voice, "Do not harm yourself, for we are all here."-Acts 16:27 

I drive Philly's eclectic Broad Street multiple times a week these day, and I see a lot. This morning on my ten minute drive to church, I watched a man in a wheelchair in the middle of the turning lane, use his only leg to push himself along. I wondered where he was going. Does that man know that Jesus died for the sin that caused him to lose his other leg? I saw another go headfirst into a trash care, fishing around for something. I wondered what he was looking for. Does that man know that the God of the universe is available to provide him with more than the treasures of this world? Another man, eyes glossy and bagged bottle in hand, stumbled into oncoming traffic (me) and took the next 15 or so seconds to stumble off the road onto the curb. I wondered how he got there. Does that man know that the love of Jesus provides a lasting satisfaction that doesn't fade once the night is through?

In this passage, Paul and Silas knew that the salvation of those around them was at stake! Can we take a minute to recognize that the salvation of those around us is at stake, so that we may dedicate whatever lifetime we have to carrying the name of Jesus to those people?

No comments:

Post a Comment