Thursday, March 22, 2012

Complaining about Free Water Ice

"For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." -Ephesians 2:8 

Tuesday was free Rita's water ice day in celebration of the first day of spring. Being the cheap college student that I am, I stood with my roommate in a line of Philadelphia locals for over 35 minutes, waiting for my free, medium, cup of chilled sugar. Needless to say, I heard and observed some very interesting things while waiting.
The girl behind me in line complained the entire time about how "it's free water ice, it should be fast...I have things to do....I can't believe we have to wait so long." At first, I was slightly disgusted by how ridiculous she was being. It's free, I thought to myself, how can you complain about something you're getting for nothing. Who cares if you have to wait? At the end of the day, you're getting something that you don't deserve. Well....quickly my self-righteous attitude was turned on me, as the Holy Spirit reminded me of how frequently I have this same attitude, but applied to an far weightier discontent. Far too many times, I have grown frustrated with the Lord because of where he has me, what I'm doing, and yes indeed,  as to why in the world I have to wait for blessings I have hope he'll provide. I soon grew disgusted with myself. Every breath, moment, and blessing is more than I deserve. Who am I to complain? 

No comments:

Post a Comment