Saturday, September 24, 2011

Rainstorm

"'Shower , O heaven, from above, and let the clouds rain down righteousness'"-Isaiah 45:8a 

Yesterday it poured, and I had the privilege of being on the field when it did. Standing on the sidelines, drenched through the couple of layers that I had on, I looked up in awe of the shear amount of rain dumping down on us. I had to squint to keep my contacts from floating away and spout water off my lips to prevent my mouth from filling. I began to notice a slight flavor to the water leaving my mouth. I don't mean the naturally refreshing taste of water, but rather a familiar hint of something more...something almost chemical. Indeed, the little bit of conditioner I had in my hair was being washed out by the rain and was now streaming over my lips. Eww.  

It got me thinking that if we get caught in a rainstorm of righteousness, something will be removed from us. Righteousness is not just something you slap on over the filth of sin. If it rains down, it washes that sin away. And as always, there in lies the challenge, because sometimes the process of having sin washed away leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

Praise the Lord that he loves us too much not to change us!    

No comments:

Post a Comment