Monday, September 5, 2011

Delightful Fright

" The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom"-Proverbs 9:10 

It is all over scripture! Proverbs 31 is a famous passage describing the godly woman and the highlighted conclusion is that she would fear the Lord. What is that? For so long I was very confused. My perception of fear is not what I want to apply to my relationship with the one who holds my heart. We avoid things that we fear and I know we don't want to avoid the Lord. I've been through seasons of my life when I did avoid the Lord and it's horrible. My life falls apart. So what is it to fear the Lord? I did some digging and check this out.....

John Piper- "if you are running from God because you are afraid of him, then you are not yet as afraid as you ought to be. In fact, your very flight is a mockery of God, presuming to think that you could outrun [him]. The fear of the Lord is fear of fleeing out of his fellowship into the way of sin. Therefore the fear of the Lord is full of peace and security and hope. It keeps us near to the merciful heart of God, our fortress, our refuge, our sanctuary, our shield, our sun."

That makes sense! It's paradoxical that the fear we should experience towards the Lord is in fact delightful to partake in!  

No comments:

Post a Comment